Saturday, June 8, 2024

ALBUM REVIEW: Kittie - Fire

Kittie - Fire

Kittie is back! 

It’s been thirteen years, but they have returned with a new album. I was, and am a huge fan of the 2001 album Oracle but their follow-on stuff did not appeal to me quite as much. Some of it felt a little too poppy for me. This is no elitist gate keeping statement, it just was not for me. 

After watching the recent Kittie: Origins/evolution documentary on YouTube my interest was piqued, and Oracle was blasted out once more. So, it is was with a certain amount of interest and excitement that I played this review copy of new album Fire.  

I was already familiar with the single Eyes Wide Open, which I had enjoyed, and Fire begins in a similar vein. The title track opens with an impressive riff and the familiar voice of Morgan Lander demonically whispering over the music. Music that is both heavy and accessible. Fortunately, it has none of the pop links that disturbed me and it stays on the side of heavy. The breakdown is impressive while the words Watch me burn thrust from the speakers. 

Kittie

Chunky riffs are prevalent on this album and the mix of clean and growling vocals works very well. Guitarist Tara McLeod is not shy of letting rip a solo either, an excellent decision in my opinion. Rock solid drumming provides a backbone for the grooves and the bass work is tight. I can confidently state this, as you can hear every element on this album due to the beautiful production of Nick Raskulinecz. This album sounds excellent. 

If singalong sections appeal to you as much as me, you will also be happy, as you can join in with both clean and dirty vocal sections  after a couple of listens. The bounce and skill involved in tracks such as We are Shadows and Wound compel the head to bob. My only complaint is with the sugary sweet intro to One Foot in the Grave and the vocal tone of this track. It displays the same attributes that put me off way back when. So, for me, that is the only low point to an excellent comeback album from these Canadian ladies.

Fire is released on 21st June via Sumerian Records
Review by Neil 'Thrashtash' Bolton

No comments:

Post a Comment

SINGLE REVIEW: CC and The Devil's Pick - The End

Dark and evocative, The End is a new single by a man who I’m most used to seeing throwing shapes and churning out heavy metal riffage. Chris...