Tuesday, July 9, 2024

SINGLE REVIEW: Gnome - Old Soul

It was my younger brother (known as ‘our kid’) who introduced me to this band. To the words of “watch this you’ll love it”, he banged on YouTube and the video for Gnome’s track Wenceslas began to play. I looked at the three gents in silly orange hats doing a silly dance and thought not for me. Then the infectious and intricate riff kicked in and I was brought back. Three minutes later it seemed I had been introduced to my new favourite band. 

Gnome - Old Soul

This Belgian threesome provide groovy tunes with riffs for days. I love the song writing and musical skill they possess. So, I am very happy to dive into new material, and seeing as YouTube is where this love began, I thought I would review Rutger Verbist’s video for Old Soul along with the song. Old film footage arrives on screen, taken from the 1962 film The Magic Sword. Just after the introduction of our damsel in distress our three orange hatted heroes arrive humorously on the scene. The foot stomping riff kicks in, and we are introduced to the band individually, while the clean vocals have their lyrics on screen. A hint of Primus bass leads to a growling chorus. 

Gnome

We are in enjoyable Gnome territory with this riff and silly video. A thumping bass line keeps things moving, then we slow down as rubbish ghosts appear in the dodgy movie. An atmospheric guitar solo begins to bleed into a slow doom section of the track that now carries this song along. Monsters are slain by our heroes on screen and the main riff reigns once more. Still infectious, still groovy, still excellent. We progress to the end accompanied by the usual foolish Gnome dancing. I am left with a satisfied feel to this. I am hoping for more of the same from their new release. This band are silly and fun from a visual perspective, while devastating and cool from an aural one, a difficult feat to pull off. hope my recommendation to you helps as much as ‘our kid’s’ did for me.


Old Soul is taken from the forthcoming album Vestiges of Veumex Visidrome, due out on 13th September via Polderrecords
Review by Neil 'Thrashtash' Bolton.

No comments:

Post a Comment

EP REVIEW: Sons of Liberty - The Details of the Devil

Back in July we covered Sons of Liberty’s latest single Tertulia Time , from their excellent The Detail Is in the Devil album. Ahead of thei...